Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Brother Sam is Dead

What a powerful book! This story revolves Tim Meeker, whose brother Sam goes to fight the Revolutionary War. The story is also a story on a family and a town torn apart. Some want to fight against the King, and others in the town (and the Meeker family) are against the King. Tim is fighting against the king and his father is fighting for the king. What makes this story so powerful is that its focus isn't on the war itself, but the families that are left behind. When someone fights in a war, they put their life on the line for their country. Then a death has some honor. Well for Sam, this was not so. I won't say how and why Sam had to die, but it was void of honor. This powerful novel also shows the reader what happens to the innocent people. My Brother Sam is Dead also shows what our soldiers did, who were considered the "good guys.”

1 comment:

Brent M. Colley said...

Michelle- I could not agree more. This is a great novel that could help so many children/young adults get excited about history (both local and national) and yet some schools still will not use it because it includes a beheading, hanging and some harsh language ( nothing as bad as the kids use themselves). I've been promoting the novel at my web site for three years. If anyone out there wants/needs examples of why this book is needed in the classroom please read my summary and analysis at http://www.historyofredding.com/my-brother-sam-is-dead_summary.htm

From what I can gather most schools that do use this novel teach it between 6th and 8th grade.